Message from the President
It is my great honor to be the 13th President of ILASS-Japan for the term of year 2019 to 2020 as a successor of the previous President, Dr. Naotaka Shirabe. 26 council members as well as the Vice-Presidents and myself will manage the activities of ILASS-Japan．
During the past 20 years, ILASS-Japan, the Institute for Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems-Japan, has grown from a small group of university professors and industry researchers to become a widely recognized and respected professional society for the research and development of the liquid atomization and spray systems. I would like to express my deepest gratitude to the successive Presidents, Vice-Presidents, and all of the members for their continuous contributions to this remarkable achievement. In particular, I would like to deeply appreciate the successive ILASS-Japan Presidents listed below for their great efforts in the management of the society.
- 1991-92 Nobuki NAGAI (Tohoku Univ.)
- 1993-94 Hiroyuki HIROYASU (Univ. of Hiroshima)
- 1995-98 Hiroyuki HASHIMOTO (Tohoku Univ.)
- 1999-00 Hajime FUJIMOTO (Doshisha Univ.)
- 2001-02 Takeshi NAKAJIMA (Kobe Univ.)
- 2003-04 Naochika TOKUOKA (Keio Univ.)
- 2005-06 Naochika TOKUOKA (Keio Univ.)
- 2007-10 Takao INAMURA（Hirosaki Univ.）
- 2011-12 Jiro SENDA (Doshisha Univ.)
- 2013-14 Keiya NISHIDA (Hiroshima Univ.)
- 2015-16 Masatoshi DAIKOKU (Hachinohe Institute of Technology)
- 2017-18 Naotaka SHIRABE (SOKEN)
(Title omitted, Affiliations for the term period).
The ex-President was the first president from industries and made efforts to correspond to the society’s compliance, enhance collaborative research between academia and industries, and create Hiroyasu Award. I am from academia again and follow the ex-President’s guideline to make efforts to the development of society.
My basic administration policy will be the following four items.
- Improvement in service quality for members
- Collaboration with the international societies
- Enforcement of collaborations between industries and academia
- Enrichment of stipulations
Improvement in service quality for members
Nowadays, many societies have a problem of decrease of members. This means that a society is not required any more. To prevent this, service quality for members is indispensable. We will improve the service quality for members through reforming contents of ILASS-Japan symposium, the Atomization Seminar, and the official journal “Biryuka”. The Atomization Symposium held in every December is the only conference in Japan dedicated to the liquid atomization technologies. This Symposium is essential in order to advance atomization technologies by exchanging information and networking between researchers and engineers from various fields. The networking meeting in the night of the Symposium is also adequate for younger researchers including student members to exchange information in a friendly manner. Many other societies make the classification of presentations based on products while this society does based on “phenomena”. The Atomization Seminar is an event co-organized with the Japan Institute of Energy. About 40 engineers and students take the lectures on fundamental atomization theory, modeling of spray characteristics and design of injection systems for various applications, as well as the laboratory class in diagnostics for spray characterization. Students and younger engineers are encouraged to participate in the seminar. The ILASS-Japan official journal “Biryuka” publishes technical papers, review articles, attendees’ reports of conferences, and events announcements. The journal is expected to be utilized as an information source of atomization technologies and research activities in combination with ILASS-International journal “Atomization and Sprays”. The 3rd Committee belonging to Department of Research operates as an opportunity to share information on domestic and/or international conferences contributing to advance atomization technologies, latest and remarkable research results or technical information published.
Collaboration with the international societies
One of the important subjects for international exchange is to collaborate continuously with other ILASS organizations in Asia, which is ILASS-Korea, Taiwan, China, and India. We will collaborate with not only Asia, but also ILASS-America and Europe. Furthermore, ILASS-Japan will provide information from each Regional ILASS to ILASS-Japan members by communicating closely with ILASS-Americas and ILASS-Europe.
Enhancement of collaborations between industries and acamemia
The 1st Committee belonging to Department of Research (so-called Atomization Research Committee) is constituted with research members from academia registered in the committee and company members. From 2011, the research committee started organizing the exclusive meetings with the financial support of company members. The research members conduct research activities authorized in the committee. Progress or results of each activity are reported in the committee and active discussion is held among the members.
Enrichment of stipulations
Thanks to the efforts by the previous chair, the stipulations of this institute have been prepared by the continuous effort of previous executives however further enrichment will be necessary for smooth operation of the Institute. We will prepare prioritized stipulations to the level of other large scientific institutes.
Finally, the ILASS-Japan members would like to work together with our colleagues in the international community to advance the science and technology of liquid atomization and spray systems.
2019-2020 ILASS-Japan Organization (titles omitted)
- Yasuo MORIYOSHI (Chiba University)
- Vice President
- Fumiteru AKAMATSU (Osaka University)
- Masataka ARAI (Tokyo Denki University)
- Chairperson, Department of General Affairs
- Jun HAYASHI (Osaka University)
- Chairperson, Department of Journal Publishment
- Hiroyasu SAITO (Shibaura Institute of Technology)
- Chairperson, Department of Public Relations
- Motohiro OSHIMA (Toyama Prefectural University)
- Chairperson, Department of Project Works
- Yoshimitsu KOBASHI (Hokkaido University)
- Chairperson, Department of Research Activities
- Keiya NISHIDA (Hiroshima University)
- Chairperson, Department of International Affairs
- Nobuyuki KAWAHARA (Okayama University)
- Chairperson, Planning Committee of The New International Award
- Masatoshi DAIKOKU (Hachinohe Institute of Technology)
- Chairperson, Management Committee of The Tanasawa Award
- Nobuki NAGAI (Former Tohoku Univ.)
- Masatoshi DAIKOKU (Hachinohe Institute of Technology)
Yoshiyuki SHIRAKAWA (Doshisha University)